Travel season is quickly approaching and you may be faced with the question of what to do with Fifi and Fido when you are away.
Taking your pet with you on vacation is certainly an option, but hotel restrictions, travel induced illness and runaway pets can turn your vacation into a disaster! Choosing the solution that is best for you and your pet is imperative to a successful, stress free trip!
Using a trusted friend or neighbor can be a great solution for watching your pet while you are away. Make sure you know the person watching your pet very well as it is a big responsibility for people not used to caring for a pet. It is also helpful if your pet is already comfortable with this person to reduce their stress level while you are away. Keep in mind that pets entrusted to part-time care takers can often escape or become ill because of lack of frequent supervision. Who you pick is very important!
A great option for travel is finding a well respected kennel for your pet. A great way to do this is ask around. Do any of your friends use a kennel they really like? You can also look online, or call your local Better Business Bureau.
Below is a list of some things to think about when choosing a kennel:
- $20-50 average per day cost
- Book early as boarding kennels can be booked months in advance during prime times.
- Schedule a visit and tour the facility before you schedule your pet’s first stay. While visiting look for the following:
- Cage size
- Clutter Free
- Free of overwhelming pet smells
- Overall feel of the kennel
- Things to think about or ask before scheduling your pet’s first stay.
- What happens if your pet becomes sick or injured?
- How often will your pet be exercised?
- Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date.
- Will they give your pet needed medications?
- Will you be allowed to bring your own food to avoid added stress on your pet?
Here at the Animal Care Clinic we offer a full service kennel & cattery. We offer in door/ out door runs, heated & central air conditioning. We have well trained hospital staff and a Doctor on site. We offer play time and “Dog About Town “ walks. We tailor your pets stay to accommodate their individual needs. Call the office for a tour or reservation 513-523-5272.
Going on vacation does not need to be stressful for you or your pet! Ask around, check out a facility or pick a friend whom you trust. Have you ever had a good or bad experience while travelling? Let us know what you think!